Hi, This pair I found while cleaning my study today. Issued in 1984 to commemorate the first official airmail between New Zealand and Australia took place on 17 February, 1934.

The Avro 10, Faith in Australia, left Muriwai Beach, Auckland at 6 am and arrived in Sydney 14 hours 10 minutes later. Charles Ulm was the pilot, Scotty Allan the navigator/co-pilot and R.T. Boulton was the engineer.

The postage rate was 7d made up of 1d surface rate plus 6d airmail of which 4d went to Ulm.

An airmail of 39,255 items was flown and a special cachet was applied. Covers were backstamped on arrival in Sydney.
A special printing of the 7d airmail stamp in sky blue was issued for the flight. It was overprinted with the slogan: Trans-Tasman Air Mail “Faith in Australia” on three lines. For more and some actual flown covers please have a look at First Trans-Tasman Airmail

Ulm is best known for his partnership with Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, and was Kingsford Smith’s co-pilot on many of his famous flights, including the 1928 first crossing of the Pacific in the Southern Cross. Ulm was the “business brains” in the partnership, and acquired the funding necessary for the journey. Ulm was also Kingsford Smith’s partner in establishing Australian National Airways.

After the failure of Australian National Airways, Ulm bought one of the airline’s Avro X aircraft for himself, and named it Faith in Australia. In this aircraft in 1933, Ulm set the speed record from England to Australia at 6 days, 17 hours and 56 minutes, and made several trans-Tasman flights.

Ulm disappeared in December 1934, together with co-pilot G.M. Littlejohn and navigator/radio operator J.S. Skilling, while flying from Oakland, California to Hawaii in VH-UXY Stella Australis, an Airspeed Envoy. It is believed an unexpected tailwind and bad weather caused them to fly past the islands in the dark.[2] The wind was about 35 knots from the south-southeast and the aircraft may also have been pushed north of the islands. At approximately 10 am local time on 3 December, after sending a series of Morse coded radio messages to Hawaii advising that they were lost and running out of fuel, the Envoy ditched into the sea. Despite an extensive and immediate search by aircraft and 23 naval ships, no trace of Stella Australis or her crew was ever found.
Best wishes .. Michael